The Sikkim Manipal University (SMU) is a University located at Gangtok and established in accordance with the Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences Act, 1995 (Act No. 9 of 1995) of Government of Sikkim. It is a unique Public Private Partnership (PPP) model between the State of Sikkim and Manipal Education and Medical Group (MEMG), the first of its kind in the country. Under this agreement the Hon’ble Governor of Sikkim is the Chancellor of the SMU and many representatives of the Government of Sikkim form part of the Senior Management of the University. The constituent units of Sikkim Manipal University are:-
a) Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Science (SMIMS).
b) College of Physiotherapy.
c) College of Nursing.
d) Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology (SMIT).
e) Directorate of Distance Education (DDE).
Distance Education refers to the education which is imparted over long distances with the help of modern technology and communication facilities. The SMU offers Distance Education programs as part of its effort to provide quality education to students who, for various reasons, cannot join the formal education system. Postgraduate, Graduate degree/diploma level programs are offered in various disciplines such as Information Technology, Management Studies, Vocational Sciences, Life Sciences and Allied Health Sciences.
SMU-DE programs are Learner-centric, using the four distinct delivery methods i.e. Self-Learning Materials (SLMs), Counseling at Authorised Centers, VSAT delivered special lectures and EduNxt - the next generation learning system that takes full advantage of the modern teaching techniques to create a virtual classroom.
In a correspondence course, a student is expected to study on his/her own using the Self Learning Materials (SLMs) provided by the University. A student does not have the benefit of a teacher for most part of the learning process, who can provide him/her with academic counseling.
Distance Education is more structured and allows learners to learn at their own place and pace. Two-way communication permits the students to contact the teachers through electronic media. Well established student-support services like Virtual class-rooms, practical lab facilities, peer group interactions, mentor chats, counseling and advising sessions at Authorized Centers, Help Desk & Regional Offices etc. ensure quality learning outcomes.
1. Are the SMU Distance Education Programs/Courses approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)?
A student doing a course through Distance Education has to register themselves for each semester to become eligible to appear for the University examinations. The terms ‘Fresh Registration’ and ‘Re-registration’ are explained below: -
- Fresh Admission or Registration - New candidates seeking admission are required to fill up Fresh Admission or Registration form.
- Re-registration - existing students who get promoted to higher semesters have to Re-register at the beginning of a session and it is termed as Re-registration.
Re-registration to the higher semester is mandatory to become eligible to appear for the University examination for existing students.
- If a student cannot complete his/ her course within the maximum period stipulated, even though he/ she had re-registered earlier for all semesters, he/ she is permitted to apply for Re-admission using a maximum of 20 credits per session.
- If a student has discontinued his course without registering for one or more semesters with/ without fee arrears (for earlier semesters), he/ she is required to apply for semester-wise Re-admission for each session, starting from the earliest non-re-registered semester. Also, a student can apply for Re-admission for course (s) worth 4 credits in which he/ she has arrears from the previously Re-registered semesters.
The form should be complete in all respects and submitted along with necessary support documents and requisite fee. Incomplete application forms will not be considered for processing.